Dental insurance helps cover the costs of preventive dental care while softening the blow on pricier procedures like crowns, bridges, and fillings. It’s important to shop around to find a dental insurance company with plans that provide the amount of coverage you need without low annual caps or exclusions that can prevent you from getting any value.
We chose Cigna as the best overall dental insurance due to its broad network of more than 89,000 dentists at 300,000 locations and diversity of plans that can fit a variety of needs and budgets.
- Some plans include restorative and orthodontic coverage
- Network of 89,000 dentists at 300,000 locations nationwide
- Waiting periods of six to 12 months for major services
- Dental implants and cosmetic procedures not covered
2. Renaissance Dental
Renaissance Dental does not cover orthodontics like Cigna, but it gets the runner-up spot due to the fact it has a comparable network of 300,000+ dental locations and an excellent reputation for customer service.
- Some plans cover preventive care at 100%
- 300,000 dental offices nationwide
- Free online quote
- No plans cover orthodontic care
- Coverage for basic and major services is limited
3. Spirit Dental
We chose Spirit Dental because its plans don’t require any waiting periods and you pay a $100 deductible only once instead of every year.
- 100% coverage for at least two cleanings and exams annually
- No waiting periods
- $100 lifetime deductible
- Annual coverage maximums can be as low as $750
- Plans vary widely on annual maximums and costs
4. Humana Dental Insurance
We chose Humana as the best value due to its low starting rates for basic plans, the fact that preventive services are covered at 100%, and because some plans have a one-time deductible.
- Plans include preventive care at 100% coverage
- Humana works with more than 335,000 dentist locations nationwide
- Annual maximum benefits can be as low as $1,000
- Some plans have long waiting periods for basic/major services
5. UnitedHealthOne Dental Insurance
UnitedHealthOne is our pick as the best for families thanks to its winning combination of preventive care and orthodontia coverage that can save families a lot of money.
- Broad network of dentists are available
- All plans include 100% preventive care
- Some plans cover orthodontics
- Annual maximum benefit amounts can be as low as $1,000/person
- Waiting periods may apply for major services
There are many options when it comes to dental insurance companies. Most companies, like Renaissance Dental and Delta Dental, provide plans that cover 100% of preventive care, while others like Spirit Dental offer plans with no waiting periods. But overall, the best dental insurance company is Cigna.